Tuesday, April 06, 2010

IVF6: Dark and Repulsive

Well, that sucks.

I didn't have a good feeling when I woke up from pick-up. When I asked what I got, the nurse looked at the sheet and then said the surgeon would need to tell me. When he did, he said they only got the one egg. One of the follicles was empty and the other located in a place that it would have been too dangerous to get to.

But I had a wierd feeling no one was quite looking at me.

Now I know why. Normally, you have to wait a whole day for a fertilisation report. The clinic rang two hours after I got home to say the egg was "unfertilisable".

I rang the embryologist this morning. She said that as soon as she saw it, she could see it was "dark and repulsive" and just not right. When they stripped it back to see what was wrong, it just disintegrated.

I guess I'm lucky it disintegrated, rather than creating a repulsive embryo that might have become a repulsive-looking kid with repulsive things wrong with it.

Yes, I know I'm wrong to dwell on the use of that word. That embryologist is a woman I like very much who has no gift for tact.

But hey, I'm feeling a little dark and repulsive myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fiona said...

Ugh what a terrible description, non-viable would have been sufficient.

I'm so sorry, Emily, so very sorry.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Oh Emily, I'm so sorry- for her choice of words, which is awful, but even more for the circumstances.

Hugs, prayers, warm thoughts- so sorry hon.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home