Friday, October 30, 2009

IVF 5: Quality Over Quantity

My fertilised egg has continued to develop and become an embryo. Another hurdle cleared and only one more to go.

The transfer this morning was excellent: a kind, friendly group of women all clearly pleased for me and wishing me well. The transfer itself was gentle - while the moment the speculum goes in is never much fun, I couldn't actually feel the rest, which is a good sign.

On our departure, I inquired about our embryo, and was told that it was a top quality, grade one embryo. Embryo quality is the best overall predictor of implantation and pregnancy. This is the best we've done in more than a year.

A grade one embryo and a good transfer are great news. I have just as good a chance of getting pregnant as any woman walking out of the clinic, and probably a better chance that most.

As I walked back to the car this morning, it was almost too much to take in. I could feel my whole body and soul light up with hope. Usually, I try not to hope too much. But dammit, after all that misery and humiliation, I'm going to enjoy this and stay hopeful as long as I can.

Just stay with us, little embryo. Mummy wants you to stay.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great news. Stay little embryo, stay.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Most excellent news! I'm so pleased for you, this is tremendous.

*Stay put embryo, just stick right there!*

9:34 AM  
Blogger Fiona said...

Your little egg did a great job! This is yet more great news, Emily. Way to go!

Fi

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home