Thursday, March 08, 2007

Philosophy of Life

The always-stimulating Trueself has posted the results of a quiz on her blog about her philosophy of life.

Here are my results:

You scored as Existentialism. Your life is guided by the concept of Existentialism: You choose the meaning and purpose of your life.

“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”
“It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.”
--Jean-Paul Sartre

“It is man's natural sickness to believe that he possesses the Truth.”
--Blaise Pascal

More info at Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...

Existentialism

95%

Utilitarianism

70%

Hedonism

65%

Justice (Fairness)

35%

Divine Command

25%

Kantianism

15%

Strong Egoism

15%

Apathy

10%

Nihilism

0%

What philosophy do you follow? (v1.03)
created with QuizFarm.com

Have you ever noticed that these things can be surprisingly accurate?

Possibly this explains why I am not very good at Christianity and churches and why somebody recently found this site by looking under "imperfect Christian" (note the very low score for divine command - much lower than Trueself's!).

Now I think about it, probably the philosopher who has had the most influence on the way I live my life is Victor Frankl.

Also, I am relieved to see that I am still 65 per cent hedonist!

10 Comments:

Blogger Satan said...

I love this quiz and you're right, how accurate! - my top one was Hedonism, followed closely by Strong Egoism and Existentialism.

"Your life is guided by the principles of Hedonism: You believe that pleasure is a great, or the greatest, good; and you try to enjoy life’s pleasures as much as you can. "
“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!”

4:48 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

I wasn't terribly happy with how the quiz was constructed. In particular, I thought the 'Divine Command' -oriented questions were too black-and-white, or caricature-ish.

But I suppose not many of you here would be surprised if I told you that I scored 90% 'Divine Command' (I mean, if God has really revealed something, doesn't it just make sense that we should all follow it?)

But you all might find it interesting that I also scored 75% 'Existentialism', 60% 'Kantianism', and 55% 'Hedonism'. I enjoy being the least bit difficult to 'figure out'. Heh-heh.

6:44 AM  
Blogger oldbear said...

Hi Em, I will take it sooner or later, it seems to be pretty accurate so far based on teh comments of my fellow bloggers.

I am glad yuo are doing well Lady.

Look for an email from me, SVP?

7:58 AM  
Blogger Christian Husband said...

I'm with Des, the guy apparently understands secular philosophies pretty well, but doesn't really understand religious ones. Or at least not Christian ones.

So, I wouldn't worry too much Emily about how you scored on the "divine command" thing as it's not horribly well done in that segment. The results, in relation to that, are kind of meaningless.

But, for the record: 80% Divine Command, 70% Utilitarian, 65% Justice, 55% Kantianism, 50% Existentialism, 30% Hedonism, 25% Strong Egoism, 25% Apathy, 0% Nihilism.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

I am going to take the quiz, see how I stack up :) Like Old Bear I am glad you are doing well.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

OMG I am a heathen! I am not sure I can post the results LOL they are just embarrassing my mom would die to see how low the divine command score was, eek...

9:20 AM  
Blogger Therese in Heaven said...

That was fun. Thanks, Emily, for posting that.

I scored 100% Divine Command (does that mean I get an extra jewel in my heavenly crown?), 75% Existentialism, 65% Hedonism (Whoops! Whatever jewel I had in my crown I just lost) :), 60% Utilitarian, 50% Justice, 45% Kantianism, 25% Apathy, 20% Strong Egoism, 0% Nihilism.

While I agree with XH and Desmond about the Christianity questions not being the best, its probably a safe assumption that the others are a bit "caricature-ish" too. I just don't know enough about the other philosophies to make that judgment with much certainty.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Somehow I suspect its no accident that XH, Desmond and Therese have such high divine command
scores :-)

The questions are quite caricature-ish for the other philosophies, too, but then its hard to see how they could have done much better with such a quick and dirty quiz.

2:53 AM  
Blogger oldbear said...

Hedonism

95%
Existentialism

90%
Utilitarianism

65%
Strong Egoism

55%
Divine Command

55%
Justice (Fairness)

50%
Kantianism

30%
Nihilism

25%
Apathy

0%

5:23 PM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Well, see, Therese, that was part of it. The questions aimed at the 'Hedonism' score were all about what we think about pleasure, enjoyment, and fun. And I'm in favor of all those things. But as a Philosophy of Life, you'd look for a little bit more. So I wasn't sure about how to answer them. I'm certainly not against fun, but the pursuit of fun doesn't really guide my actions all that much, so how should I answer?

And, if they had a category for 'Thomism', or 'Johanno-Pauline Personalism', well then we'd have something to talk about.

And, I'm sure that I'm taking this all just WAY too seriously. . .

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home