Sunday, April 06, 2008

IVF Cycle 1: Glamour, Glamour, Glamour

Nothing could be more glamorous than my life at the moment.

This week, I started the stimulation drugs. By day 3, my stomach was swelling out of my clothes, I was throwing up in the shower in the mornings, and I had to leave work early in case I started throwing up on my colleagues.

Then last night, the Little Dude had a stomach bug. He threw up tumultuously approximately every 25 minutes for around 7 hours straight. As I clutched my naked, sobbing little boy to me in the bath tub (sometimes it's easier to stay in there, as there is less clean up), he threw up all over me - in my hair, down my bra, trickling into my belly-button, everywhere.

Vomit is a big feature of our family life at the moment.

I reckon I got about two hours sleep maximum, last night. The Little Dude seems to be fully recovered, but that's more than I can say for me. I am too old for this kind of thing. I'm so exhausted, my body feels like a carcass.

And it apparently responds like a carcass, too. Day 7 of stimulation drugs and I have a grand total of six follicles. Last time, I started with nine follicles and only wound up with two viable eggs. God only knows what we will get down to if we start at six. So I will be climbing wearily into the stirrups later this week, with a sense of the vanity of all human effort.

I think I need to get into my old pregnancy track pants and curl up on the sofa with some chocolate. Gin would be better.

Glamour, glamour, glamour.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sailor said...

sorry he's sick, and sorry it's so harsh on you, too- I'll email you chocolates, and a lot of cyber hugs and hair-holding-back-out-of-the-way.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Fiona said...

You are on a parallel life with my best friend. I got her to read your blog today, and it helped her understand 'it's not just me'.

I feel for you both. I see first-hand how hard this is. It's a tough ride. I understand, as well, why you do it.

Hugs

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

As i am sure you know...it's a marathon and not a sprint. I offer you a heartfelt "You GO Girl!".

Hugs.

5:10 AM  
Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

I'm glad he's feeling better. I couldn't help but laugh (sorry) at your description of the vomit on you, but only because it reminds me of very similar experiences my wife and I have had with our little ones.

Good luck with the IVF.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home