Thursday, October 19, 2006

On the Up and Up

Sorry about that last post. Does it look slightly less whingy if I mention that, when I wrote it, I had been up for a full 24 hours without sleep and way too many of those hours were spent at work?

And I am cheering up quite a bit. The Little Dude is finally improving and I got five hours sleep last night!

One thing that is helping to cheer me up is Bob Dylan's new album, Modern Times. I was never really a Dylan fan until Time Out of Mind, which is an album I loved from the moment I heard it. The Big Dude was thrilled, because it converted me to Dylan. Such dark, melancholy songs about being close to death and then such passionate, yearning love songs, all sung in that rasping, crackly voice he has now.

You know how other people complaining tends to cheer me up? Well, you can just imagine how some seriously good blues can make me feel.

And now, with all the hours I am currently working, I am particularly loving "Working Man's Blues" from the new album:

Now they worry and they hurry and they fuss and they fret
They waste your nights and days
Them I will forget
But you I'll remember always

Now I'm down on my luck and I'm black and blue
Gonna give you another chance
I'm all alone and I'm expecting you
To lead me off in a cheerful dance

I am paying this album the ultimate compliment of making it one of the three CDs playing on rotation in this house.

I must admit that something else is also behind this bounce in mood. I tried on my pre-pregnancy suit for a big meeting this morning and it fits! Eight months ago, when I first returned to work, I couldn't do up the zip, and now it is even kind of loose!

Hooray for my resolutions!

11 Comments:

Blogger oldbear said...

Hi Lady, I am so very happy for you that things are better today!

Glad to hear about the weight loss, flaca (skinny)!!

Give both dudes a hug for me, eh? OB.

4:28 PM  
Blogger freebird said...

So glad you're bouncing back, Emily. And congratulations on the resolutions!
Although I grew up with Bob Dylan, I wouldn't say I was a big fan until just a few years ago when I saw him live and absolutely fell in love with him. An unforgettable experience!

3:01 AM  
Blogger Satan said...

Hope you can do even better than 5 hours tonight!

3:49 AM  
Blogger Fiona said...

Way to go with the weight loss!!

I've always said stay away from the scales and just go by how your clothes feel on you, and how you feel in your own skin.

Good on ya!!!!!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

"Hooray for my resolutions!"

Hooray indeed and congratulations to you, Emily.

Btw, condolences also on getting spam comments - win some, lose some, eh? (evil grin)

5:26 AM  
Blogger Desmond Jones said...

Ahhh! (shaking sleep from my eyes) Even a few hours can make the world a brighter-looking place, eh?

Glad your mood's improved!

And Bob Dylan . . . he's like an old friend. . .

7:20 AM  
Blogger Mu Ling said...

I'm glad that things are a bit brighter today. Hang in there.

9:11 AM  
Blogger O272 said...

Congrats on losing some baby weight, Emily! They say 9 months up, 9 months down. I say 9 months up, 2 years down! ;)

12:48 PM  
Blogger FTN said...

So what are the other two CDs on your current rotation?

12:51 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for your support. You guys are lovely, and your supportive comments do help.

FTN - I just had this bizzarre impulse to lie about what is currently on rotation at our house in order to make myself look a little cooler and more musically sophisticated, especially to a discerning musical scholar like yourself :-)

But since honesty is the rule on my blog, I must report that currently on rotation are -

*Dylan's Modern Times, as mentioned before.

*The Beach Boys. I enjoy them, but they are mainly there because the Little Dude seems to love dancing to their music, and I much prefer playing him "real music" to those tinny children's CDs, especially when played multiple times.

Have you ever noticed the way that nursery rhymes and children's songs take on a maddening, inane edge when played many times in a row?

*Melissa Ethridge. Who I also love, but is currently on there mainly because it is excellent motivational housework music. I find if you put some really thumping, passionate music on, you can sing and dance around while cleaning and you hardly notice you are actually doing the washing up!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

0272 - Thanks for mentioning the two year thing. I have been feeling a little discouraged about it, but if I revise my expectations to two years instead of nine months, I am well on track :-)

Now, all I need to do is decide whether or not to try for a second baby and wreck all the progress I've made completely!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home