Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Satisfaction II

All this time spend lying around is giving me a lot of time to think. One of my thoughts is that I need to start looking around for a new job.

The truth is, I'm bored. Bored, bored, bored. I normally switch areas every year or so, moving on once I'm not really learning anything new any more. But their flexibility about my hours has helped me to meet my family responsibilities and so I've stayed longer than I ever have before. Also, my colleagues and my direct boss are such decent people that I've found it hard to tear myself away.

But I'm now reaching that point where I just can't get excited about the work any more. I don't get absorbed in it. I know it so well that I do it with about a quarter of my brain and the rest of my brain just wanders off to ponder other things.

And, of course, there is more to it. Some of you may remember that I had what I thought would be a policy victory some months ago. That victory is not turning out the way I hoped. Essentially, for ideological and political reasons, our politicians are shifting our policy area around towards something that is more popular but which I think is wrong, wrong, wrong. Damn, I hate election years!

Almost all the original elements I put up are still there, but altered to fit in with their stupid ideological opinions and their crass political opportunism. I am usually quite realistic about what can and cannot be achieved in government, but in this case, I am offended.

It's like I gave them a baby, a healthy, beautiful baby that I was proud of. They congratulated me, cooed over it - and then they tore it up, sewed all the limbs on backwards and tried to pass it off as the same baby. It isn't. It's a Dr Frankenstein freak-fest.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks when policy makers pander to the electorate, doesn't it?

Just remember, the voters always, but always, get what they deserve.

10:50 AM  
Blogger flutterby said...

Sounds like your down-time allowed you some time to think.

I'm glad you're posting again, I was about to swim the pond just to make sure you were still around... so thanks for saving me the effort -- I'm really not that good a swimmer and things could have turned tragic very quickly. Does Australia have a Coast Guard...?

I hope you're feeling more like your regular self.

Take care!

4:49 PM  
Blogger oldbear said...

Hi Emily, sorry about the pols creatign a climate where people would want to mutate your work.
Too bad things are getting goof y over there too!

Hi lbp, on some levels I agree with that. "...The people get the government they deserve, God and Hard". ..maybe H L Mencken?

But here in the Good Old USA, I reckon the lies and scheming and espcially the concentration fo media ownership has made a situation where it is much harder for average citizens to get access to the facts needed to be informed citizens. So to some extent I can see exculpating the average person.

Thanks for soemthing to think about!

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home