Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Victory

The Melbourne Cup is huge in Australia. It is known as "the race that stops a nation". The state of Victoria, where it is held, is the only state in the world that has a public holiday for a horse race. There are estimates that around 80 per cent of Australian adults place a bet on the Cup.

Personally, I couldn't care less about horse racing. But I felt very happy that Delta Blues beat Pop Rock: a victory for great music!

Plus, the Big Dude is brilliant at picking the winners. This year, he bet $5 dollars each way on three horses for a total cost of $30. They finished first, third and fourth, and he won $135. I reckon my chances of being taken out to dinner are excellent!

6 Comments:

Blogger O272 said...

Way to go, Big Dude! (Order steak, Emily!!! Order steak!!!) ;)

11:55 AM  
Blogger flutterby said...

Hope you enjoy your evening! It always tastes better when it's (almost) free... do you think Big Dude won enough to pay for a sitter? I think so!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Summer Rose said...

Congrats to big dude! what a way to win. There is only one horse race that I will watch, and thats the Kentucky Durby.
S.R.

7:50 PM  
Blogger cinnamon girl said...

Er, Vic isn't the only state to take a public holiday for a horse race. SA does too, for the Adelaide Cup.

Congrats to the Big Dude!

5:47 AM  
Blogger LePhare said...

We love a little gamble, once in a while, but I always consider it a donation rather than an investment. The Bookies look at it that way as well!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hasarder - I just looked up what you said, and you are right and I am wrong.

You may want to frame that sentence, as this is not an admission that the world hears from me very often! :-)

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home