Tuesday, April 22, 2008

IVF Cycle 1: A Little Bit Pregnant

Well, here I am, with two healthy little embryos sloshing around inside me, but probably not implanted yet. Pregnancy isn't complete until at least one of the embryos has cast off its outer shell and implanted in the womb and the beta count starts doubling. We won't know the result until late this week.

Who would have thought that it was possible to have embryos in your womb and still not actually be pregnant. Or maybe the old saying is wrong, and I am actually a little bit pregnant.

Because the fact is that I feel pregnant. I have nausea. I have strange reactions to smells. My stomach is so distended that it's hard to fit into my normal clothes. But the kicker is that, even if it was working, I wouldn't have those symptoms yet so early in the pregnancy. It's just the drugs.

Also, I am behaving strangely. When I was pregnant, I used to chat dreamily to the Little Dude and sing him songs, even when it was too early for him to hear me. I have spent a lot of the last few days chatting to my embryos, basically encouraging them to hang around. "Stay here with mummy", I say. "We have a nice big house and a lovely mum and dad and grandma and a big brother who will love you, so I think you should stay. And have I mentioned we have a sandpit?"

I told you I'm behaving strangely.

Yesterday morning, I was convinced that it hadn't worked and my little embryos were already on their way to the dustbin of history . Then in the evening, I was sure I was pregnant. I was even furiously calculating how we would manage twins. Now, I'm not so sure. I try to be optimistic without hoping so much that it's crushing if it doesn't happen. It's hard to do. No wonder I'm behaving strangely.

Being just a little bit pregnant, but not completely pregnant, will do that to a person.

7 Comments:

Blogger FTN said...

Your embryos are adorable.

Here's hoping they stick around and decide to implant themselves appropriately.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Fusion said...

Heh, I love that, A little bit pregnant.

Hopefully you'll be a whole lot pregnant soon :)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

I love your embryos, as ftn says, they're adorable. Must be, to be so adored already, right?

Hang on there, little E's, you have a lot to do still, and it all starts with grabbing on tight!

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Cute! Here's a little bit of a congratulations! Hugs, hugs, hugs!!!

3:20 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Wow, you guys sure big admirers of four-cell organisms.

Sadly, I must tell you that they are not really very adorable. Under the microscope they looked kind of like a blueberry. Without the microscope, they looked kind of like drops of water in a dish. But of course, they could get a whole lot cuter if they can just get out of this awkward stage
:-)

Of course, I am now a bit despondent and semi-convinced it hasn't worked. But that was the case last time, too. Last time, I was so convinced it hadn't worked that I cried on the bus all the way home from the blood test, which was very embarrassing as I am not usually much of a crier and particularly hate crying in public. Then I got the happy news that I was wrong.

First blood test tomorrow, but we may not have a final result for this cycle for another few days.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Fiona said...

It's the waiting that's so hard! Fingers and toes crossed for you, Emily.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Summer Rose said...

Keeping you in my thoughts, by the way love the title of your post.
S.R.

P.S. Ch is working days, for two months I'm so happy.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home