Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Pain

As you have probably guessed, I have been quietly brooding about the failure of the IVF cycle and not feeling very talkative. But actually, an hour or so of real physical pain has helped put emotional pain in some perspective.

I went to the dentist this afternoon for the first time in (wait for it) 21 years. Yes, that's two decades of zero dental care, aside from brushing my teeth.

I have been quietly aware of the fact that I ought to go some time, but have always managed to put it off. I only went today because I feared I had chipped a tooth. The news, in fact, was good. The dentist seemed quite surprised (and mildly reproachful) that my teeth were actually okay with so little attention. All I needed was a tooth cleaning and a (completely different) wisdom tooth removed.

But now I know exactly why I put off going for so long. Crikey, the pain! I cursed and swore. And that was just paying the bill!

2 Comments:

Blogger Fusion said...

I remember being a kid and SO hating the dentist trips, and now it's all the worse with the bill as well...oh well, thinking about how much it's going to cost makes you forget the pain a bit ;)

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you, I put off seeing the dentist... that is, until the pain gets so unbearable and I have no choice but to go.
As a kid, my first experience with the dentist was a nightmare...

I only go when I really really have to and even then, I shudder at the thought. I think it's been over 10 yrs now... so far so good.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home