Monday, September 04, 2006

RIP Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin died yesterday. He was such an over the top version of a certain kind of "Crocodile Dundee" Australian that, to me, watching him was almost like watching a cartoon. But he was such fun, and such a positive guy, with a lovely young family. And with a marked physical resemblance to my brother in law, whose house is filled with injured animals, due to my sister's dedication to wildlife.

One thing a lot of people wouldn't know about Steve Irwin is that he was a serious conservationist. He and his wife bought large tracts of land in Australia and overseas, in order to preserve the environment.

He said:

... easily the greatest threat to the wildlife globally is the destruction and annihilation of habitat. So I've gone, "Right, well, how do I fix that? Well, making a quid here. People are keen to give me money over there. I'll buy it. I'll buy habitat.... My wife is an American so she's a good capitalist and she's very clever with money. So whenever we get enough cash and a chunk of land that we're passionate about, bang, we buy it. And what we're trying to do is we're trying to set an example to the world that every single person can make a difference.

Steve Irwin did make a difference. I will miss him.

You can find a link to a very good interview with him here.

4 Comments:

Blogger O272 said...

He was so much fun to watch! I couldn't believe it when I saw the news of his passing this morning. He'll be missed by many!

4:52 PM  
Blogger cagedone said...

I was stunned, at first the message came he was severely injured followed by the headline he was killed. I was utterly shocked.

It makes me so cynical that one so good could be taken in such circumstances. The good die young, well that just sucks.

I kind of feel angry with whoever is running the place that this could happen.

The thing I liked about Steve is that he was more a occer aussie than most aussies, he did not come accross as being particularly brilliant, but he more than made up for that with his passion and his animated character.

He was able to do more for the environment and for animals than any of us 1000 fold. For that he holds my deepest respect.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so sad to hear about his death this morning. My husband & I have been a big fan of his for years. We immediately felt for our friends from down under and for your great loss. He was a true enteratainer and he will be missed!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I've always enjoyed watching him on tv and being interviewed. He knew the risks that his career involved but he was never a daredevil. He will indeed be missed as one who did care for our planet's future.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home