Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Tagged

I have been tagged by The Visitor. Cool! I have never been tagged before. I have been asked to state nine things about myself, wierd or otherwise, and then tag six others by leaving a comment on their blogs. So here goes:

  • I am prone to obscure physical injuries. For instance, I once tore the cartilage in my knee just by standing up too quickly at my desk. I am very into exercise, but keep having to stop due to injury, which is very frustrating. This may be genetic, as my mother is the same. I think that, in a harsher environment, my family would have been winnowed out of the gene pool.
  • I consistently fancy men who are both intelligent and funny. If they are loyal and passionate as well, I am a goner.
  • The men I have loved have generally fallen into one of two main types: tall, dark and largely silent (like the Big Dude) or small, blonde, chatty and just a teensy bit girly (usually bisexual).
  • I find it much easier to do things I don't want to do, to endure things that can't be cured, if I get to complain a lot. The Big Dude tells me I would find some of our struggles easier if I didn't dwell on them so much. I find the opposite is true: when I stop complaining, my capacity to put up with problems definitely shrinks. Because I know this is not my most attractive trait, I try to confine my complaints to this blog, so my blog ends up reading like it is written by my evil twin, who says things I can't say in real life. I never seem to mind other people complaining about their lives - in fact, it usually cheers me up!
  • I have a somewhat compulsive side to my nature. Not in an OCD kind of way, but I am good at throwing myself fully into things or abstaining altogether - particularly the first. I am not so good at the golden middle way. If I gave free reign to this aspect of my personality, I would be at least one or more of the following: an alcoholic, a workaholic, a perfectionist, a compulsive eater, a sex addict, a fitness fanatic, a religious nut.
  • I am a little bit anal. Even though I know that life is messy and contradictory, I crave order. I tidy up every night before I go to bed, just so that I can have that moment when everything is in its place. Then I breathe a sigh of relief. I keep doing this, even though I know the cause is hopeless, with a toddler in the house.
  • I am monogamous, even though I don’t really believe in monogamy and my sex life is not good, because my partner is monogamous . Despite my lack of faith in monogamy, I was secretly shocked when some friends of mine formed a kind of sex ring in which they were all having sex with each other, because it involved such stable couples. I was confident that their relationships would explode. Theirs didn’t. Mine did.
  • I am a worrier and I think too much. When I have a problem, even when I know it probably can’t be fixed, I can’t seem to leave it alone. I worry at it like a cat with a mouse. It does make me a good bureaucrat, though, because I feel compelled to work at problems and am not easy deterred.
  • Even though spirituality is very important to me, I hardly ever pray in the conventional sense. I think this may be because I am angry at God. When I am in a context where people are asking forgiveness from God, I often ask myself who will forgive God for all the suffering I see around me.

An additional fact that most of the women I know think is wierder than any of these things:

  • During my ridiculously long 42 hour labour with the Little Dude, I did not yell, swear or curse my partner. I sang and hummed through the contractions. This was not because I disapproved of any of those other options (whatever gets you through it, right?) and I am not sure why it helped. It may have been because I had been through so much to have a child that it seemed wrong not to celebrate. It may have been just that my urge to sing has always come from a very deep place. I feel most like myself when I am singing.

Okay, so who will I tag?

Digger, Dewdrop, Trueself, Satan, Mu Ling, and LePhare, please consider yourselves tagged!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Visitor said...

Thanks Emily, that was nicely done :)
Yeah I too hsve a compulsive streak and to some extent tidying up (washing up in the kitchen) as and when things are done.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Trueself said...

Thanks for tagging me. My answers are up on my blog. It was a nice break from my usual whininess in my blog.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the glimpse into your life Emily. I like the list and enjoyed reading about you :)

Oblivion

12:36 PM  
Blogger FTN said...

Intelligent, funny, loyal, and passionate... tall and dark... Man, if ONLY I was silent too!

So close, once again! Since I might sometimes be considered "chatty," would you forgive my lack of bisexuality?

[Of course, the funny thing about this is that pretty much ALL men consider themselves intelligent, funny, loyal, and passionate.]

1:30 PM  
Blogger LePhare said...

Thanks for the tag......I think.
I've tried to play along and have been honest, honest!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Visitor - I am already enjoying other people's answers, too.

Dewdrop - Well, you may have to dig through your archives, because Digger has tagged you with it, too! What an incestuous little group we are :-)

Trueself- Whininess is not something I associate with your blog. I whine more than you do!

Oblivion - I would have tagged you, too, but you already have similar tags up on your blog.

FTN - Are you *flirting* with me??? Yay! :-)

LePhare - I truly enjoyed your nine statements and I'm glad I asked.

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home