Wednesday, August 20, 2008

IVF Cycle 2

We have started our second IVF cycle and already it sucks.

Synarel is a very evil drug. It's one of a number of drugs the clinic can use to shut down the patient's normal cycle before they start resurrecting it and putting it into overdrive to produce multiple eggs. Side effects include: hot flushes, headaches, mood changes (including depression), muscle and joint pain, tiredness, insomnia and changes in blood pressure and weight. It's like pre-menstrual tension multiplied by 1,000.

Basically, I am a very tired, sleepless, grumpy woman with a continuous bad headache experiencing huge emotional lows, even aside from the fact that I have just thrown my life into turmoil and paid big money for this experience. I am more than happy to have someone to take all this out on.

So you will appreciate just what a bad idea it was for the Big Dude to completely forget to call the clinic this Saturday to get my initial results. He did this at the worst possible time - right when when I was expecting to take the stimulation drugs the next day and had no one to call to find out if I should take them or not because the clinic promptly closed for the weekend.

IVF is a very sensitive process. You have to do exactly the right thing at exactly the right time. So this was not a small error. This was putting the entire cycle in jeopardy after I have already been through three weeks of this. Also, it would be our fault it failed, so potentially no refund.

The fact is, the man just hasn't been focusing on what we're doing here. His head is so full of the Olympics and other things he is more interested in, that he really just hasn't registered how important this is or how much crap I am going through with very little support from him.

I would like to say that I feel bad about yelling at him, because that would make me a nicer person. Actually, I am not at all sorry. I yell at the Big Dude about once every three years and at least it gets his damn attention.

One of these days, some woman's husband is going to get killed for forgetting to make clinic calls when his wife is on Synarel. No jury of that woman's (very grumpy) peers would convict her.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fusion said...

Well it really sounds like he blew it big time there. Can't blame you for yelling, hopefully he's feeling a bit contrite about now?

Good luck with the LVF.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Sounds like he needed the yelling, ugh- three weeks, and maybe it's not right? For the olympics? Understandable that you'd be unhappy!

Sorry to hear about it though, hope it turns out okay.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Fiona said...

My best friend, on her 6th IVF cycle, and after 11 IUI's, is pregnant with twins - so don't give up. I know the hell you're going through Deb, I've witnessed her angst and even had to count to 10 a few times when she hit me with one of her best shots.

Her husband is pretty insensitive to what she's going through and remains selfish. She handles it by not relying on him. I think men can be pretty unreliable - probably why we women end up so strong and independent :)

Big hug and a large dose of empathy. While I haven't lived through what you are, I've lived through a lot with my friend so I do know how damn tough all of this is.

Fingers crossed for you for this time around, hon.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Much pleased to hear about your friend, Fiona!

Maybe some of her good luck will rub off on us.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home